Office Of Multicultural Affairs

The Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) was established in 2002 to support the College’s efforts to attract, recruit, and serve both students of color and international students. Our mission is to create and sustain an environment that encourages and embraces the contributions of people from a variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Spreading Latino Culture at Assumption.


As I take one step further with my dance partner, I see the reflection in the mirror of a Latina student leader that I have become. While dancing to “Te Extraño” by Xtreme, a bachata group, I release the stress of the many tasks I have to complete after this rehearsal.  As a sophomore, at Assumption College, I have grown to come out of my shyness and take on a greater leadership position. I am Secretary for the ALANA Network. As an Ecuadorian on the Executive Board, I have the responsibility to promote Latino/Hispanic culture to the Assumption College community.
I was born and raised in Harlem, New York. Harlem is a place full of diversity, where no one is ashamed to express themselves. I came to Assumption College with a background in diversity. In my freshman year, I would blast to bachata, merengue, salsa, reggaeton, cumbia, etc. in my room in Desautels Hall. I had no shame to leave my door open because I wanted the girls on my floor to hear it. Yes, there were murmurs but that did not stop me. I decided to join ALANA so I can be able to express my culture. I was welcomed with open arms.
As a freshman, I had many ideas to promote Latino/Hispanic culture to the Assumption College community. However, as a freshman, I was lazy to take that role. Second semester came and I decided to run for the Secretary position. Over the summer, I brainstormed how to bring awareness of the Latino/Hispanic culture on campus.
One of ALANA’s annual events is the Latino Festival. I came back to college prepared and ready to start planning. The Latino Festival is an evening to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. I am very excited for this event because I love my culture and this is a great opportunity for students at Assumption College to learn about the Latino/Hispanic Culture.
Food will be catered by various Latino restaurants in Worcester; there will be live performances by Assumption College students, a live band and fun facts from each Latin American country. According to USA Today, did you know that by the year 2050, the Latino/Hispanic population will triple! Meaning that one out of four people will come from a Latino/Hispanic descent. Bring your friends and be prepared to travel to South American, Central America and the Caribbean’s.
            My dance partner and I nailed one third of our bachata performance but we still have two more songs to dance to. Dancing bachata, merengue and salsa makes me feel as if I was back home in New York City. I see how happy the other three couples get when we are practicing and on the day of the Latino Festival that dedication will show. You do not want to miss the Latino Festival on Thursday, October 13, 2011 from 6 P.M to 8 P.M at Hagan Campus Center Hall. ¡Que vivan los Latinos(a)/Hispanos(a)!
Daisy Sinchi ‘14
Secretary, ALANA Network

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Job Daisy! Que vivan los Latinos (a) y los Hispanos!

Creative Commons License ALANA Network Official Blog by Usen Esiet is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License. Based on a work at thealananetwork.blogspot.com.