The ALANA Network is grounded in an understanding of diversity that includes people of all ages, abilities, ethnicities, races, nationalities, sexual orientations, religions or spiritual traditions, and socio-economic classes.
ALANA Network programs and services are specifically designed to reach out to, support, and celebrate the students here on campus, as well as educate the entire Assumption College community on diversity issues.
Office Of Multicultural Affairs
The Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) was established in 2002 to support the College’s efforts to attract, recruit, and serve both students of color and international students. Our mission is to create and sustain an environment that encourages and embraces the contributions of people from a variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
Thursday, November 26, 2009
ALANA NETWORK MEETING MINUTES- NOVEMBER 19, 2009
HIV/AIDS Awareness Week
- AIDS Project Worcester will be hosting an event on World's AIDS day at the YWCA on Tuesday, December 1, 2009 from 5:00-8:00PM
- This is an opportunity to volunteer and give back to the community.
- Transportation will be provided by Brenda in order for that to occur at least 20 students must sign-up
- Will be shown on Tuesday, December 1, 2009 in the Hagan Campus Center Hall approximately at 9PM
- This movie promotes HIV awareness
- We encourage all to attend if you haven't seen the movie already
Advancing Green Building Internship
- The program is open mainly to minority students and is intended to promote minority involvement in green building and other sustainability efforts
- This is an opportunity for those seeking employment that you don't want to miss out on
Graduate Newspaper Fellowship and Apprenticeship for Minorities
- This program aims to attract members of the minority community with truly outstanding qualifications and the potential to make significant contributions to the field of newspaper journalism and increase the number of minority journalists in the country.
- This will be taken place at Syracuse University and it is one of the best programs for students who are pursuing degrees in journalism, and public affairs
- If you plan on signing up you are more likely to get in because not a lot of minority students signs up for this type of program
- For more information stop by the Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Brochures and Contact Info is in the Office
Other On-Campus Events
- Campus Ministry: Start 2 Retreat on November 20-22
- CAB: Late Night at Charlie's Band "Title Fight" tonight at 9Pm
- Skin Color
- Tracy came up with the idea to discuss skin color and what were your thoughts and opinions on it
- Skin Color plays a valubale role in each and everyone's culture and in society